Following the staggering, yet utterly believable, revelation last week that 80% of the 200m tweets posted each day are of no interest to anyone we thought we’d put together our own guide to successful tweeting. And to make it more digestible each one is tweetable…
1. Have something to say. Silence is golden so unless you’ve something to contribute to, comment on or converse about, keep your tweet shut!
2. Hold the hashtag. Hashtags aren’t always your friends so deploy wisely if you want to avoid a McFlurry of hashtag hell. http://t.co/BHhFzlwX
3. Don’t whine, whimper, wallow or whinge on about the travails of your day. A trouble tweeted is a follower deleted
4. Be enigmatic – but don’t be lazy. If you’re posting a link then give your followers some idea of what it’s about
5. Be brief
6. Share today’s news not today’s fish and chip paper. Keep shares fresh and don’t share out of date/heavily shared material
7. Give some insight into your business. Tales from the coal/fashion/finance/media face are what followers like to hear
8. Quality is all. Fewer, better quality tweets to a quality audience will bring quality results. Quantity is vanity
9. Interact with followers – Twitter’s about conversations remember. So what do you think of these 10 rules?
10. Make it fun. Twitter is a social network and you need to be able to make followers smile once in a while
There, that wasn’t so hard was it?